The goal of the Sturgeon in the Classroom program is to build awareness, concern and appreciation for the environment in our younger generations. In 2015, St. Clair Detroit River Sturgeon for Tomorrow signed an agreement to serve as a “cooperator” in the Michigan DNR’s “Sturgeon in the Classroom” program. We now facilitate the program here in Southeast Michigan.
Schools are selected to raise a juvenile sturgeon during the school year, while incorporating hands-on, place-based education to enlighten youth on the importance of conservation and stewardship for the environment.
In 2017-2018, six schools in Southeast Michigan were selected to participate in the program:
- Shumate Middle School, Gibraltar
- Roberts Elementary School, Shelby Township
- Wilson Middle School, Wyandotte
- Brownstown Middle School, Romulus
- Waldon Middle School, Lake Orion
- Bloomfield Hills High School, Bloomfield Township
If you have any questions regarding Sturgeon in the Classroom, please contact Jeremy Guc at email@example.com